Penny Penelope

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Sometimes things really work out

Yeah, and sometimes they don't. Sigh... I had a goal for myself last night. To make a skirt in one evening. The pattern (New Look #6843) said it was an easy one-hour pattern. Ok. So that was the challenge. Sew the skirt in one hour and have something to wear today. I was doing well. Got the pattern cut in 20 minutes, but since the one-hour notice had a sewing time only disclaimer, I gave myself another 60 minutes to get it done. Now I was doing well. Especially if you factor in that I added a lining that the pattern didn't include for the alloted time. I mean, that's really sewing two skirts. Ok, minus one waistband, but still. Anyway, things were moving along, and I was getting excited about meeting my goal. But then I had this crazy idea that I should try on the skirt before I added the waistband and did the hem. And, well, that's where things went bad. To say that I hated the fit of this skirt would be an understatement. The waistband would have hit me at the true waist, meaning above my bellybutton. ugh. Not at all what I had in mind. And it was too short. I was so upset. I mean, shouldn't you be able to assume that a new pattern would have a modern cut? Uh, no. So, needless to say, here the skirt hangs. No waistband. No button. No hem. And it's going to stay that way. Unless one of you out there wants to takes this skirt to the finish line. I'd be happy to send it to you.

So, I'm back to square one. Who would have thought a simple a-line skirt could be so tough? I'm going to draft my own pattern, which is what I should have done in the first place. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home