Penny Penelope

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Bibs 'n babes


I made this bib for Mia the other day. Recognize this fabric? As you can see, I have a lot of it. Tarek asked me if I'm ever going to use anything else. Maybe. You can't see in the picture, but the bib has a pocket at the bottom. Quite useful for catching green peas and the like. I covered the fabric in self-adhesive laminate that I found at Home Depot the other day. It's in the section with the shelf and contact paper. I covered both sides to make it wipe-able. The only problem I see with this project is that the laminate only sits on top of the fabric. It's not really bound to it within the fibers. So that means when I stick it in the sink to really wash it, the water will get between the layers. No big deal unless it's not able to dry. I made just one to test it out. On the edges, I used a binding I made with my bias tape maker. A must-have tool, in my opinion, for anyone that sews a lot. Initially, I used my binding attachment on my sewing machine to put it on, but found that just holding it by hand with the regular presser foot was better. Because of the laminate, the fabric was too stiff to feed nicely through the binding foot.

I have a few other projects to share, but haven't quite figured out the best way to photograph them. I'll work it out and get it up on the site soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I think you're right. I got carried away with the laminate. It's so fun to work with. Next time, I'll just put it on the front. I did wash this one though, and so far it seems ok.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Thanks for the link to the bias tape foot!
I hope it works on my machine.
I can sew juat about anything but for some reason bias tape scares me.
Your bib looks really nice!

11:43 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Julie,

I hope the bias tape foot works out for you. They can be a little tricky to work with in the beginning. Practice really does make a difference. I found I have pre-fold the tape before it feeds through the foot instead of letting the foot do the folding (does that make sense?). Now that I've worked out how to use it, I couldn't be without it.

Glad you liked the bib!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home