Penny Penelope

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Letting go

I thought about not posting this shirt. I don't think I like it. Then I thought about how this blog is meant to be about all my creative endeavors, not just the good ones. I actually made this shirt first out of a different fabric to test the pattern. It's a good thing I did, because I had to make some adjustments. From the waist line up is one size, the waist line down a size (ahem) larger. I also took the center back seam in about a half inch. I'm happy with the fit now. It's the fabric choice I'm not sure about. It's a Liberty of London print I bought seven years ago. Yes, you read that correctly. I've held onto this fabric for seven years. Why? That's the question I've asked myself a lot recently. I have a huge stash of fabrics that I feel are too special to cut. This was one of them. It was my first Liberty purchase. What's funny is that I waited seven years to use it and now am doubting my decision to use it as a shirt. Maybe it will look better with different pants. I don't know. Anyway, this shirt has helped me move past my fear of messing up with the fabrics I hold so dear. Dare I say it? It is just fabric after all. Time to move on, let go and break out all those others I have stashed away.

By the way, this shirt isn't actually finished yet. It still needs a hem and button. I'll do that tonight. Oh, and it's New Look #6483, view E.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

I love the fabric. It's fresh and works with your jeans. But I do agree that it is hard to cut into fabric that you have special attachments to.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for the comments! Getting someone else's opinion is always helpful. I think I get too close to my projects and then get critical. Maybe I'll wear the shirt this weekend and see how I like it.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home