Penny Penelope

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Fabric bliss

Mia and I went fabric shopping in the garment district yesterday. Something I haven't done in a very long time. I had forgotten how nice it is to be surrounded by so many beautiful prints and colors and textures. One of my favorite things about living in New York is the unbelievable access to amazing fabrics. Bolts and bolts and bolts of things you just can't find anywhere else. Much of it is out of my price range (I found a nice linen for $68 a yard), but it's still fun to look and touch. I did find a cute brown and white polka dot to use on a skirt I'm making (more on that later). And while I'm on the subject of fabric... Don't you just love the way scraps of fabric can make you feel like you're moving in the right direction? Like you're getting things done. Accomplishing something. Moving ideas from your mind into someting tangible. It feels good and even looks good. I'm working on Mia's sun hats and trimmed a lot of seams last night. The tiny strips were just so pretty resting on the table. I couldn't throw them away. Today, Mia discovered them and pulled them behind her around the apartment. They can bring comfort and fun even for a 21-month-old. I love fabric. I think Mia does too.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE that picture!! She looks so cute holding her purse :)

11:35 PM  
Blogger Kim -today's creative blog said...

Oh My gosh! Look at all that fabric! I don't sew, but I have been looking for a particular fabric lately to recover the seats of my dining chairs. I found myself wishing I could sew. I fell in love with SO many fabrics. Love fabric stores too. Just wish I could have found my fabric. What I want, is discontinued. :)
Darling little dress you made for your baby girl.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

How cute is this? Starting her early with the bag fetish! I love the little criss cross dress. I have that pattern in just about every size from when my girls were little. I made them in summer and also in winter to layer over a t-neck and slacks. Just made one last summer from baby granddaughter #2. hmmmm... need to get that out again and make another.....
Like the blog very much!

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a precious picture. She looks like she knows what she is doing!!

gabby

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home