Penny Penelope

Monday, June 05, 2006

Little dress



I'm back from a nice weekend. Saturday was spent mostly at home watching it rain, rain, rain with a quick early dinner out at Patsy's Pizzeria with Tarek and Mia. Sunday, we went to brunch in the East Village with Max and Courtney. It's been weeks since we've seen them, so it was great to catch up. After brunch, Courtney and I checked out some small clothing boutiques, which is always fun. I saw several things I liked, but didn't spend a dime. A, because I'm cheap. And B, because I can make literally everything I saw. Arrghh. It's the sewing curse hitting me again. I mean, yes, I can make any of those things. But the question is, "Will I?" I'll admit it. Probably not. I'm just out of time almost all the time. In fact, as I type this, I'm sitting here worrying that it's 7:40, Mia's been asleep for 40 minutes, and I'm still sitting here at the computer when I should be at my sewing machine finishing some hats for Mia or cleaning. Seems like no matter what I'm working on, I always feel that I should be working on something else. Geez. I really need to relax. Deep. Breath. Exhale. Now that's better.

Oh, before I forget. These pictures are of a sample dress I made years ago when I designed children's clothing. It fits Mia now, and I love it. One of the hats I'm making will go with it. The pattern is my own based on a vintage pattern my mom gave me. My mom says my grandmother made some of these dresses for me when I was Mia's age. I'd love to find pictures of those. You could probably find similar patterns today. The dress is reversible with green and white gingham on the other side. The fabric came from the garment district here in NYC. I have a few yards of this if anyone is interested in a small fabric swap. I could swap about three yards (or less) of this for fabric from you (anything but pink, please. My cabinets are overflowing with pink fabric). This fabric has some stretch, so keep that in mind. I think it's about 97% cotton, 3% spandex. Anyway, if anyone out there is interested, please leave me a comment. Have a great week!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel. I love swaps and have lots of fabric. I'm in! Mia's dress is adorable!

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the dress and fabric. do you have a pattern for the dress?

8:55 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Karin. I'm glad you like the dress. I made the pattern based on a vintage one from my mom. The fabric came from the garment district here in NYC.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I LOVE the dress. Would I be able to buy a copy of the pattern from you? Thanks, Helen (UK)

3:36 PM  
Blogger PĂ©itseoga said...

Hi! love the dress! would like to make something like it for a friend's baby. i have a vague idea how i could make a pattern, but i'm not sure, are the buttons just decoration or do they open? would the dress come off and on easily without buttons?
I'd also love to make a grown up version of it, as a top, or a mini dress to wear over jeans...

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi rachel,
i was surfing on the net for a smock and landed on your cool blog. i love the dress/smock! would i be able to buy a copy of the pattern from you? please email me at judybyun@yahoo.com
thanks!
btw, i'm living in germany

12:38 PM  
Blogger bloomworks said...

Hi, I can see you are getiing an overwhelming response to this dress - this is so cute! Yes, I am also interested in buying a pattern from you - could you please let me know if you are willing to sell ??? I am in NJ - my husband commutes into the city everyday, so transaction will be smooth, if you are up to! Thank you so much!

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home