Penny Penelope

Friday, October 13, 2006

Big changes ahead


Hello. It's been so long since my last post, I don't really even know what to say. This three-month break of mine wasn't planned at all. Life just took a turn of its own and left me with my head spinning. So where to start? Well, after almost ten mostly wonderful years in New York City, Tarek, Mia and I are headed south. We are relocating to Dallas, Texas, the end of the month. This past August, we made a three-week trip down and managed to find, make an offer and close on a house before we headed back home to NYC. I remember riding in the cab on the way home from the airport feeling total shock. I was looking at all the city lights as we drove over the Triborough Bridge and thought, "Oh my God. We're really doing this. We're leaving." To be honest, it sent me into a panic. In the past ten years, without me even realizing it, New York became our home. I was married while living here, bought our first home here, had the corporate career I thought I always wanted here (only to find out it wasn't what I always wanted), went back to school here, started a business here, became a mother here. It is going to be hard to say good-bye to such memories and experiences. On the bright side, I'm originally from Texas, so my family is there. It will be great for Mia to grow up around them. I think the panic I felt was also largely a big fear of change. Life will be very different once we leave. Change, while it can be wonderful in the long run, feels scary at first.

So, that's my news. The past several weeks have been totally focused on selling our apartment here. Which, of course, means constant cleaning and home showings to potential buyers. That has left absolutely no room for sewing (too messy). I can't even begin to tell you how much I miss my sewing machine. We had to remove my sewing cabinet (took up too much room and made our apartment seem small). This means all the stuff in it had to be put elsewhere. My sewing machine and serger are packed away in a closest. So sad. There is light at the end of the tunnel though. I will actually have an entire studio in our house in Dallas. I'm really looking forward to that!

It feels good to post. I'm sorry it took me so long. Oh, and the picture above is one of my favorite corners in Mia's room (pre getting-ready-to-sell-so-must-paint-everything-neutral walls).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear from you. I've wondered how you were and how your slipcover was coming. This is exciting news. I am the same way about change, even good change. Good luck with selling your appartment.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops too many p's in apartment.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home