Penny Penelope

Monday, October 16, 2006

Designed to sell (we hope)



Since my life is CONSUMED with selling our apartment right now (forget that we're moving across the country in just over a week), thought I'd share some pictures of our new-and-improved-designed-to-sell abode. How does a family of three, plus all the contents of a former children's wear business live in 875 sq. ft? Actually, fairly nicely. The trick to living in a small space is to only own what you actually need. That means really questioning whether you really need that big Kitchen Aide mixer or not (I decided no. I really don't). And every six months or so, we clean out and edit our belongings. If I haven't worn something in over a year, it's outta here. If I don't really love those shoes, gotta go. As much stuff that has come in, must go out. Furniture must also play double duty. Our bed is a storage bed. Meaning the frame is actually full of great big drawers and a cabinet-type space big enough to hold our large suitcases, etc. We also have large floor-to-ceiling wall units to maximize vertical space. I tell ya, using vertical space is so important!

I'll be totally honest here. Before we put our apartment on the market, it didn't exactly look like this. We spent a few month obsessed with HGTV's Designed to Sell, and took it all very seriously. So, we painted all the walls a neutral non-offending color. Previously the living room and hallway were a mustard yellow (Martha Stewart calls it "Yarrow"). Mia's room was a vivid apple green (loved it!). Our bedroom was a soothing sage green (loved that too). Now it's Parisian taupe (ok, beige). All of it. It was a little shocking at first to live with such neutral walls, but it has really grown on me. I actually think I'll keep the softer, neutral palette for our house in Dallas. Maybe. We also totally de-cluttered. We got rid of big pieces of furniture that cluttered the space. And all those little things we never knew where to put? We either decided it wasn't needed or found a place for it. All of it. It was no easy task, I'll assure you. But, in the end, we were left with a small space that feels larger, airier and much more serene. Just what you're looking for in New York City. Let's hope some buyer out there agrees!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From these pictures I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling. Beautiful!

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your apartment

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home